Outdoor spaces beckon in the summer months. New England summers are ideal for outdoor entertainment. Your patio could be a featured room of your house and set to give your family outdoor memories for seasons to come. Transform your patio into your favorite area of the house with these tips for selecting the best patio furniture.
How To Select the Best Outdoor Furniture
Buying outdoor furniture involves many of the same steps as buying indoor furniture, but there are some extra considerations.
- Measure your space. Consider how much space you have and how it’s shaped. Use the area and shape of your porch, patio, or balcony to dictate the size of your outdoor furniture. Make sure to leave enough room to casually walk around the furniture. For a smaller space, you’re going to want patio furniture with a slim profile—a bar table, for example.
- Determine furniture placement. Is your space exposed to the elements? Will your furniture sit on soft ground or grass? These types of questions will help you determine what type of furniture to buy. For example, do not place soft woods such as pine on a grassy surface and in an exposed area. Moisture from the ground can cause the wood to rot.
- Decide on material. Three factors can help you decide the material for your patio furniture: weather, amount of care required, and how it looks. You obviously don’t want a material that won’t stand up to your New England weather. Aluminum, teak, or resin don’t need much care. Wrought iron can take heat and moisture and last a long time. Your local dealer can help you pick out the right material for you.
- Comfort is important. You’ll be relaxing on your outdoor furniture so make sure it’s comfortable. If your chairs don’t come with cushions, you can buy or make your own. Just make sure to use a durable, outdoor material that is resistant to fading and mildew.
- Winter storage. Storing your outdoor furniture for the winter is imperative in the harsh New England winters. Cushions and other non-winterized items should be brought in. And items that aren’t brought in should be covered to protect them from the elements. The winter is a great time to remove outdoor cushion covers and wash them for next season. Slip-covers are convenient and super easy to wash.
Your outdoor patio can open space for your home and add an entertainment area for years to come. A little preparation will ensure that you get the outdoor furniture that’s right for you. We hope these tips for selecting the best patio furniture help you to enjoy those beautiful New England summer nights.